Sunday, February 8, 2015

Welcome to your online discussion of Reading Lolita in Tehran!

Together with members of your group and students in other sections, you’ll be reading Reading Lolita in Tehran over the next several weeks. Although you're not required to take notes while you read, it would be wise to keep track of important events and characters for your own clarification. You are, however, expected to participate regularly and thoughtfully in an online discussion of seven essential questions. 

Here's how it works:
Divide your book into two roughly equal halves. You need to have read and blogged about your book by the due dates below.

  • There are two kinds of posts in this discussion: responses and comments.
            Responses = direct answers to the essential questions 
    • Post at least SIX responses altogether: at least THREE for the 1st half of reading and at least THREE for the 2nd half.
    • You must respond to at least five essential questions over the course of your reading.
    • You may respond to only two questions more than once.
    • One of your six responses can be a "free response" post.
            Comments = direct comments on another reader’s post
    • Post at at least TEN comments altogether: at least FIVE for the 1st half of reading and at least FIVE for the 2nd half.
  • In addition, you will post at least ONE response to the essential question about The Whipping Man (production at the Portland Stage Company on March 4) and ONE comment on someone else's response by March 4. [NoteIf you do not attend this production, you will need to post an additional comment and response to the book questions.]

Due dates: 

  • Post your response to the essential question about The Whipping Man and your comment on someone else's response by TUESDAY, MARCH 10.
  • Post your first three responses to the book and five comments by THURSDAY, MARCH 12.
  • Post your final three responses to the book and five comments by THURSDAY, MARCH 26.

Essential Questions: (for books)
  1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
  2. Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?
  3. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
  4. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?
  5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
  6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live? 
  7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
** Free-response option: Address another issue/episode/or passage in the book that you find significant.

Essential Question for The Whipping Man: 

Why might a play like The Whipping Man be important and relevant for contemporary society? What current issues in politics, ethics, and international relations are paralleled or echoed by events and themes in The Whipping Man?

Assessment: To earn maximum credit, post thoughtful responses that are at least a short paragraph in length—and carefully proofread! Do not misspell characters' or authors’ names! Also, be sure to include specific references to the text (either details or short quotations).

115 comments:

  1. The Whipping Man is important and relevant to society because lots of racism and cruel punishment goes on in the world currently. For example, the Charlie Hebdo cartoons where Muslim's felt like they were being categorized and looked at as terrorists. Another example is after 9/11 and how lots of people now think of South Asian or Middle Eastern people when they think of terrorists. However, lots of cruel punishment goes on in the world even now, even more, than there was mentioned in the play. ISIS is a good example when it comes to violence and punishment. The things we hear about happening outside and even sometimes in our country we would never think of as part of reality. Also I think the play title was all a metaphor and a way of saying we are all "Whipping Men" and/or have one in our life. During the talk we had after the play, I realized this and it made perfect sense. We can stop people from achieving their absolute potential but there could also be someone in our life doing the same to us. Overall, I liked the play a lot and thought it was very meaningful and was very deep if really think about the message and awareness it gives off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a great point with 9/11. So many people hate middle eastern people, because they have only seen the negative aspects of them. They think that just because a few people were bad, that everyone who is from there is bad. Just like there, many people considered all slave owners to be bad (I have a reason for this thinking-- bear with me.). Many slave owners bought slaves to give them a better life than a bad slave owner. We don't hear much of that, but if you watched Twelve Years a Slave, then you could see that one of the slave owners wanted to buy the whole family so that they could all be together. Anyways-- I'm getting off topic.

      I agree that we all have, or have had, a “whipping man” so to speak, in our lives. It’s a great metaphor, don’t you think? We all have someone or something trying to beat us down, and if we don’t fight back against that, then it will never stop. Great response!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure I understand your connection of ISIS punishments and events in the play, can you clarify this a bit?

      Delete
    3. I agree with Colin, actually. Could you clarify that point a bit? And I'd like to hear more about the metaphor of the Whipping Man and how we all have been or had a whipping man in our lives? I know we went over it in class, but I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the topic.

      Delete
    4. I was connecting ISIS to my point of cruel and unusual punishments, like those that slaves had to go through. In the news we hear about beheadings, torture, etc. that goes on in other countries with terrorists and other groups like ISIS. My connection to this was to prove how much goes on outside of our society that is hard to imagine. How our ancestors treated african americans is part of our past and I think we often forget what went on/goes on outside of our everyday lives.
      My thoughts on the whipping man metaphor was that people can be held back by their parents, bullies, and often times themselves. I believe the whipping man is someone who puts them down and holds them back from their goals. Also, holds them back from what they strive to achieve, or a distraction from what they need to be doing now to get where they want to later.

      Delete
  2. 1.) How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    The girls in this story each have their own accessories and actions they do to show they are individuals. Each girl has their own ways to assert their individuality. Sanaz has colored nails underneath her black gloves, Mashid wears colorful jackets under her black robe, some listen to forbidden music, and all girls are reading books that have been banned. Underneath their scarves they have different earrings and hairstyles just like we do. Even though they aren’t allowed to show these accessories they still wear them for their self-expression. They are finding a way to resist the laws even though they aren’t noticeably doing so.

    3.) How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
    The girls aren’t even looked at as individuals and are treated with so little respect. They have to wear black scarves and robes to cover up every inch of them besides their faces. Makeup is banned, nail length is monitored, certain books are banned, they aren’t allowed to walk with men in public who aren’t family, and overall they are treated terribly. The girls who go to the University aren’t even allowed to enter through the same entrance as the men are. They go through a tiny gate and into a small black room where they are searched for weapons and items that have been banned. Yassi described this room on page 29, “I would first be checked to see if I had the right clothes: the color of my coat, the length of my uniform, the thickness of my scarf, the form of my shoes, the objects in my bag,”. This is like a more extreme security check at an airport except its for teenage girls who are simply going to school. Since men have all the power, they can also stop the girls on the streets and go through this same procedure for no reason. All of the girls are on different levels of insecurity because they are in a society where men are superior. The girls need to hide their own characteristics and can’t express who they really are because they’re own expression is against the law.

    5.) How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
    I remember spending time with one of my great aunts and she showed me how women in the Middle East covered their faces with scarves. She took my scarf and wrapped it over my head and I didn’t understand why women would want to hide under these. As I got older I found out that women were actually forced to wear these scarves and veils. It’s so outrageous that women aren’t allowed to express who they are and even have to cover up their body shapes and hairstyles. I can’t imagine having a dream where I went outside on my front porch without wearing a black veil and waking up thinking that I had dreamed of a sin. All of the girls in this book have mentioned having a dream similar to this and it’s terrible how women have to hide their beauty just because men have made laws against it. The consequences for women who break these laws are so terrible. The rights that women have in the US and women have in other countries is such a big difference. Women in US history have had to dress modest or else it was against society, but the consequences for doing this aren’t nearly as harsh as they are in other countries and as told in “Reading Lolita in Tehran”. In the US we have the freedom to express ourselves and equality unlike the women in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your points you made in here. It's weird to think that underneath all of that clothing they are forced to wear, that they look just like any other person. Bright clothing, earrings, etc. I think they wear them to show themselves that they aren't losing their true self under the robes and scarves. It's almost like they're asserting themselves that they are still an individual-- not just another person of society.

      Delete
    2. I agree, wearing the "forbidden clothing" underneath the covers seems like a personal reminder that they arn't just one more person in society, and they are different people, in addition to a silent rebellion against their oppressors

      Delete
    3. I agree that with our background in the U.S., the concept of wearing a veil seems strange. When I realized that these women have no choice, the feelings changed from curiosity about why they would want to do that to sadness for them that they are forced to do it, or face being harshly punished.

      Delete
    4. You make some really good points. It is in reading books like these that I really think about how lucky I am to live a society that will allow me to express my individuality. It’s so eye-opening to read about the extremes that some governments will go to to enforce such oppressive laws.

      Delete
  3. A play like The Whipping Man is important in modern society because it demonstrates the importance in learning from our history. The play shows the comparison of the jewish slaves in Egypt and the slaves in the South. Caleb seems to become more understanding to his ex-slaves as he begins to hear their story being compared to his ancestors in captivity in Egypt. The play also shows that slavery can mean more than chains, John is an alcoholic and a “slave to the bottle” and Caleb is a “slave to his injury” as his amputation now controls his life.
    The play also has themes that echo throughout modern society. The whipping man can be seen as anything holding a victim down. This can be seen in the racism apparent in places like Ferguson where the police force is oppressing a minority, and resistance is met with violence, or in less apparent ways like disabilities and addiction as shown in the play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thoughts on the play. Do you think this particular experience will change the way that Caleb acts or thinks towards the world or other former slaves in general? I think it’s really interesting to expand the idea of slavery to something that is more than just physical, but also mental and emotional as well. People don’t usually look at it in that way, and I think that it changes the perspective of the concept because it can be all of these things.

      Delete
    2. So often we forget about our history as americans. It's important to remember what had happened, and what people had to go through to be considered human, and to be free again. I ask the same question as Lindsey though-- Do you think that this whole experience will affect Caleb's way of thinking? Or do you think that Caleb is still going to be stuck in his old ways, and treat everyone like he treated John?

      Delete
    3. Assuming Caleb is ever able to leave the house ( his amputated leg poses an issue as well as the fact that soldiers are looking for him as a deserter, the punishment for desertion in this time commonly being execution or long-term imprisonment) I would like to believe his time in the house has opened his eyes to the similarities between his ancestors and his slaves and I believe he would in fact, treat them with more respect, as shown in the later portions of the play.

      Delete
    4. I agree that the play demonstrates the importance of learning from our history, as the play provides a very different perspective that can teach people things about the Civil War that they might never learn from the traditional teaching of the event.

      Delete
    5. Do you think that it's possible Caleb has PTSD from his time in the war, and do you think that would affect how his views about slavery? Do you think it's possible he was also a "slave" to his mind as well as his leg? Some of the character's behavior, and what Caleb said about what he saw in battle, got me thinking that it could be a possibility.

      Delete
    6. I'm intrigued by this discussion of the different meanings of slavery and the suggestion that Caleb, too, is enslaved in ways—by his injury (a part of him cut off/lost) and by slaveholder mentality. (I hadn't thought of the possibility of the amputation being symbolic...) Interesting this notion that slavery enslaves both the slave and the master, albeit in different ways. It undermines everyone's humanity. Racism does the same thing.

      Delete
  4. The Whipping Man addressed many universal questions that still ring true in today’s society. This ranges from racism and how we view people’s differences to how we deal with the consequences of our actions. All the time in the news you’re hearing stories of shootings, bombings, of people categorizing something as biased, as a hate-crime whether it is or isn’t. People are constantly making assumptions about others, a human flaw that is present in almost all of us. John, Caleb, and Simon all fell victim to this as well. In a play it’s almost a given that you have to make assumptions about people. About Caleb’s dad and what his intentions were. About what Caleb’s intentions towards Sarah were. Caleb, Simon, and John made a lot of assumptions about each other, which led to friction in the play, a lot like the friction that assumptions cause in society and human relationships in today’s world. Caleb and John were also figuring out how to deal with the consequences of actions that both had made in the past. Both of them were in hiding, forced to rely on each other. It’s a universal lesson that I think every person has had to deal with at least once in their lifetimes. Discovering how what they do can come back to haunt them later in life. It was also interesting to watch them deal with the large question of "what now"? I feel like that’s another question that everyone has to deal with at one point in their lives. It's one of those guiding questions that everyone has to figure out for themselves. I don’t know if there’s a real solid answer to it, but watching these three in the play come to terms with it was a engaging process to witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the themes of racism, past decisions, and responsibility of own actions still being around currently. I believe the assumptions made in the play also tie to the racism issue and how judging is still around currently. Lots of incidents have caused the US to judge other races and assume that they are bad and dangerous. Whether you hear about a public shooting or a person being robbed, we assume the race of the person who committed this crime. I making assumptions and judging people based on race is important thing to try and hold back from doing. The play and the characters in the play were good examples of racism and how making assumptions can lead to consequences.

      Delete
    2. The themes of racism and bias are really great things to bring up. I agree that this play left me with a lot of questions: Did Caleb truly love Sarah? Does Caleb change his way of thinking now? What happens to John?

      "What now?" Is something I also brought up in my response. It's a universal question that we ask ourselves everyday, whether it be consciously or subconsciously.

      Delete
    3. I really love that you brought up the topic of assumptions and how they feed into the other themes, and how the character's assumptions affect their relationships with each other. That aspect of the play didn't occur to me until I read this response, and some of the events of the play makes slightly more sense to me now than they did before.

      Delete
    4. The question of "What now?" seems especially relevant NOW, as our country is entering another phase of head-on reckoning with racism, as evident in Ferguson, Brooklyn, Oklahoma, and Madison. Regardless of our race, we all need each other to survive ultimately, to preserve our democracy and way of life. As in the play, we can't live without each other, yet we still struggle to live with each other. How will we resolve this dilemma as a society in 2015? We have to if we want to survive and thrive. So what now?

      Delete
  5. The Whipping Man deals with many themes: racism, the nature of oppression, the consequences of a person's actions and the responsibility that comes with that. I believe these themes are still very relevant today, because much of the same issues at play during The Whipping Man's setting are still issues in the present. Racism, for example, is unfortunately still alive and kicking in the 21st century, as evidenced by the events at Ferguson and the shooting of Trayvon Martin two years ago. I believe that the play also pointed out that we are all complicit in oppression, due to the way society conditions people as to what's "normal," and that this applies to all oppressed groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great response to the play, Patricia. I agree-- racism still, unfortunately, is alive in todays world, even though we don't even hear the half of it; We only know what the media covers. It's amazing to hear so many people against racism, yet it still is around today. I'm glad to see you also picked up on the themes that I saw in the play as well.

      Delete
    2. Something else I wanted to expand on is how the Internet has affected people's actions and the consequences resulting from that. The internet is wonderful (most of the time, at least) but I think the anonymity and ease of online culture has started to remove some people from their actions and their consequences. To some people it's just words on a screen, and damn the person on the other end.

      Delete
    3. Excellent point, Patricia, about the Internet providing a screen for people to hide behind, making it easier to "whip" others with impunity.

      Delete
  6. The Whipping Man was a phenomenal play, which addressed a lot of problems that we still have in today's society. A lot of people don't think of the consequences that their actions can bring; for example, John stole a lot of things, and then found out that someone was after him. He didn't think about if someone were to find out he was stealing, what they would do, and what would happen to him. The whipping man also didn't think of his actions, and John struck back at him, ultimately killing him with the weapon he used to beat so many people.

    This play can also connect to political issues, as the end of the play leaves a burning question in each one of our minds: “What happens next?” Today especially, people are wondering this. What happens next? Is there going to be another war? Who will be the next president? Will this law pass? And so on. I think an ethic that could connect to this as well, could be to not judge someone until you’ve learned the whole story. Caleb yells at John, saying that “The only cotton you’ve touched in your life, is resting comfortably on your back right now!” And “You’ve never broken a sweat.” But what Caleb didn’t know, or didn’t really remember, was when he whipped his own friend, and how often John was sent to the whipping man. This moral/ethic can connect to the controversial police brutality and shootings of innocent men today. They didn’t know the whole story: they just assumed. But I’m not going to get into that right now.

    This play was absolutely amazing, and definitely connected, in more ways than one, to modern day life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The theme of consequences is something I hadn't noticed but offers an interesting point that in hindsight was one of the driving events of the play, it is the reason John is even a character in the performance, without him, the story would have been drastically different.

      Delete
    3. I agree about the themes and how consequences for the characters actions was important to think about. We should think about our actions more often and how they will effect society and those who are around us. Also, I like how you quoted the characters in your response!

      Delete
  7. 1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    The women grow their nails, wear bright clothing (all under their robes), and listen to forbidden music. Though they cannot show that they wear and do these things, it’s reassurance to them, showing that they haven’t lost their individuality. On page 25, it reads: “like Lolita we tried to escape and to create our own little pockets of freedom. And like Lolita, we took every opportunity to flaunt our insubordination: by showing a little hair from under our scarves, insinuating a little color into the drab uniformity of our appearances, growing our nails, falling in love and listening to forbidden music.”


    2. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?

    Each character is affected with each change in society. The women are treated terribly in Tehran: bag checks, nail length checks, and almost every woman is controlled by a man. Once again, bringing back the quote from page twenty-five, the women aren’t even allowed to fall in love with whom they want to. They are assigned a husband, and they are to be submissive to them. Men have all the power in that society, and that affects each woman every day.


    6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live? 

    I knew that life for women was bad in Tehran. However, this book is slowly opening my eyes to exactly how bad it is for women. I had no idea that they monitored the length of nails, and that they didn’t even allow women and men to walk through the same doors. It’s truly sad that the women are being so manipulated and taken advantage of like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your point that they are wearing hidden items to prove to themselves that they haven't "lost their individuality". I like the way you worded this and I completely agree. It's crazy that men have so much power in some societies and it's sad women can't fall in love freely. They need to be assigned to a partner for the rest of their lives who will mostly control every aspect of their lives! Good points you brought up in your responses!

      Delete
    2. Although the novel has primarily focused on the harsh conditions for women, I feel its necessary to point out both genders face difficulty, as seen on page 96, men can be executed and their corpse stolen and hidden on the charge of "being westernized".

      Delete
    3. I agree that every change in society affects the characters. With every negative change, I'm sure that they need the safe havens such as their book club just to keep from becoming hollow shells. In a place where your whole life is controlled, it must be hard to fight the oppression and stay the person that you are inside.

      Delete
    4. I also agree with what you said about character's personal stories. They help to understand the situation a lot better because you get actual examples of the way people are treated there.

      Delete
    5. The fact that the length of the women's nails was one of the most anger-inducing for me as well. It seems such a banal and ridiculous thing to us as a Western audience, and infuriating that these women were *monitored* to a microscopic level like that. The page 25 quote is probably one of my favorites from the book so far, partly because of its poetry, and partly because it's a mocking of the regime they're under, a "you can never erase our individuality, no matter what."

      Delete
    6. I agree that this book has been extremely eye opening. I had no idea that their culture was so oppressive. I like that you brought this up, because I think that most people do no know what is going on there. Every example given by the characters is another shocking detail that I never knew.

      Delete
    7. Another eye-opening portrayal of everyday life in Tehran during this time (and the difficulties for both men & women) is Marjane Satrapi's graphic memoir: Persepolis. It's a short and striking read, and you're welcome to borrow a copy from MTA.

      Delete
    8. Sophia, you make an interesting point about changes in society and the effects those changes have on individuals and groups. Colin, your point about the difficulty that men face is also a valid statement. It's interesting the connection that can be made to The Whipping Man- those who enslave are often enslaved themselves. The idea is prominent in bullying today as well: a lot of the times we find out that the bully was actually once bullied themselves.

      Delete
    9. The culture in Tehran is so shocking to me, I also knew they were controlled but not the extent of it. It's scary that one gender has so much power over the other. It makes me wish that everyone could express themselves like we can.

      Delete
  8. 1.)How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?

    It is revealed early on in the novel that under the required scarves and robes, each girl dresses in bright colors reflecting their own personality, something they can only show safely in the “security” of their english group. Despite the government’s attempts at banning things such as make up and certain pieces of clothing, the girls paint their nails and wear whatever they like underneath their gloves and covers, expressing themselves for themselves, it is not publicly known, but is more for personal satisfaction, the english group offers a location for the colors and personalities to truly show through.


    2.)How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?

    Azar makes several references to the difficulties of the changing government and rebellions throughout the first half of the novel. The first mentioned is the imprisonment of her father, the mayor as a result of the revolution. References are made also of the banning of dancing, parties, alcohol, singing, make up, exposing hair, restricting clothing and banning books. The classroom is split and children group according to their political affiliations, conflicts arise between the groups as each side is becoming more radical. A member of the english group is persecuted for being around teenage boys without an adult supervising and is subjected to humiliating tests. Professors at the school are being fired for their views and people are being executed in the streets.

    3.)How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?

    The girls in this novel have made me noticed things about their society I did not know. I had always assumed that the dress regulations had become accepted culture in society, it has been made clear to me that views are very different depending on the age of the character and their political stance. I found it surprising that while Azar protected the requirement of the veil, her grandmother protested the removal of the veil, and how Azar’s students hold a new, rebellious view of the veiling laws. I was also unaware of the cruel and humiliating punishments brought about by the new ruling power, this was made especially clear during one of the students stories go her prosecution while on a trip with friends, she was put in jail and had to go through physical exams for being around young men without an adult. The chaos of stealing corpses and killing protesters, as well as executing people on almost random accusations in the streets also added to my new understanding of the chaotic society during a rebellion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book group is a very important place for them because it allows them to really show their own characteristics and be themselves. It would be crazy to have the only person in your family who really has power to be imprisoned. Azar must have felt so unsafe in her society without a family with a man in it. I also didn't know about the cruel punishments that went on and happened to such young teen girls. It's crazy to think that people our age would be treated so terribly in another part of the world, like Tehran. Good responses

      Delete
    2. I agree that the individual stories of the characters can help clarify things about the culture that we otherwise wouldn't know. The general "Their society is oppressive" doesn't show you how bad it actually is. The examples from the lives of the characters can actually paint a picture of what life is really like there.

      Delete
    3. I agree that the clothes reflecting each characters individual personality are for their own satisfaction. They aren't rebelling in a way that could change the minds and hearts of their oppressors, but they are rebelling in a way that can keep them individuals in the face of oppression.

      Delete
    4. I agree with the idea that the book group is a safe place for them. Like you said, “...the English group offers a location for the colors and personalities to truly show through.” This is so true. In a society where everyone is forced to hide who they really are, there are a few safe places where they can show themselves, and though it goes unnoticed by the government, they can rebel against their oppressors.

      Delete
    5. I really liked when we got to see the girls' style under their robes. It made me realize that the girls in the book are just like us. They want to express themselves and share their opinion just as much as we do. I couldn't imagine having to hide every aspect of my personality like they do and it makes me really sad.

      Delete
  9. The Whipping Man is very relevant in our society today, as it contains many themes that are still discussed now. Theses themes include the consequences of a person’s actions, racism, and the unfortunate lack of civility and communication between people who have differences. An example of these themes, specifically racism, is the death of Michael Brown in St. Louis. Another way that the play is also relevant to our society because it can help people see a new perspective in an event that is explained frequently from the usual top-down perspective that makes the Civil War seem so businesslike

    ReplyDelete
  10. 7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    I think that there should be one standard for gender equality throughout the world. Religion is a choice, and the things that go along with that, such as the veils, should be a choice to wear. Gender isn't a choice, so everyone should be equal based on it. An example is when Azar is coming home for the first time since she was 13. In the airport, she was taken aside and examined. She was the same person she was when she left, but because of the newly instated laws, her possessions were vigorously searched. Her husband, on the other hand, went right through without the guards batting an eye, just because he was a man. Based on something that she couldn't control, Azar was treated differently, and that isn't fair. Equal treatment should be a human right, not a privilege that only men get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's what the question is asking. I think they asking if gender equality should be redefined depending on the culture/country. Personally I think culture should be taken into account when gender equality is considered, because the primary issues for women in one country can be very different from the ones in another.

      Delete
    2. You're both addressing valid sides of this question, which doesn't have a simple answer: How do we affirm both cultural differences and universal human rights?

      Delete
    3. I agree that equal treatment should be a basic human right no matter where you live. Nobody deserves to be treated like they're less than somebody else because they were born a certain gender.

      Delete
  11. 3. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?

    The personal stories expand my understanding of the societies in which they live by showing specific examples of the ways that they were treated and their thoughts on whats happening in their world. An example is in the Lolita section, where Nima was telling a story about a boy who awoke his parents with horror, telling them that he had had illegal dreams. This illustrated the actually of the oppression in Tehran, as this scene reminded me of George Orwell's 1984, which is a novel about a dystopian world, where people could commit "thought crimes." This novel uses personal stories from the characters similarly to the way that The Whipping Man used them, to explain the situation in a way that a third-party account can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy that you referenced different stories and medias in you response. It helps to point out universal themes or patterns that crop up in story lines. This book itself uses different books to shape the stories and ideas of their lives. It helps to make it relatable.

      Delete
  12. 1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?

    The characters assert their individuality by secretly dressing in vivid colors underneath their robes and veils. Although they cover up in public, at their secret book club, they take off their dark coverings and can reveal their earrings, long, painted nails, styled hair, and whatever else each girl wears to express herself. Another big way that the characters assert their individuality is through the reading of the banned books. The individual interpretations that each character can take away from the forbidden text is knowledge that they can always take with them, even in the oppression of their society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the ways the girls assert their individuality. I like how you think they have knowledge hat can't be taken by the government from the banned books they read. I didn't think of the banned books this way and I like your point!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree with both you (Joseph) and Bella. I immediately thought of and answered this question with the palpable, visible ways that they rebel. I did not think of the knowledge that they are gaining from this experience as something intangible that will stick with them for the rest of their lives. I think it is true though, that their silent feelings and thoughts can be as powerful as anything they wear or say.

      Delete
  13. 1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    They mostly assert individuality through little things: nail polish, the clothes and hair styles they wear underneath the veils, makeup. They also assert themselves through the music they listen to, and of course the books they read. Some of Nafisi's students also wrote poetry, and asserted themselves that way.
    2.Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?
    They find inspiration in each other, in everyone's varying and complex personalities, in the stories they tell each other. They also find inspiration in the books they discuss, and in paintings and sometimes even just colors, and in the debates the group has.
    7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
    I am all for gender equality, but I don't think one, single standard for it the world is a good idea, because it would fail to take into account cultural differences and would possibly ignore issues that women in one country might find extremely important by fix another issue that might not be the focus at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the question about finding inspiration, and your answer about focusing on the smaller things that they encounter. I think that's so crucial, and I think it's a lesson that we ourselves could learn to integrate into our own lives. Can you think of any examples for your gender equality statement? You make a good point, but I can't help but thinking that if there is a need to tailor different issues to different cultures/countries then is it true gender equality? Shouldn’t it be a blanket statement covering all aspects of life?

      Delete
    2. A good example of this would be the difference between Western and Japanese feminism, for example. In Japanese culture, there are still very, very rigid gender roles, and Japanese feminists focus on that as one of their major issues. Japanese women do still face problems like the wage gap, but it's not their primary problem in their eyes. On the other hand, Western feminism has made some headway into dismantling gender roles in our society (though probably not as much as we'd like) and most Western feminists have begun to focus on issues like the wage gap and rape culture. And to tell Japanese women that they should focus on this issue and not the one they are truly concerned about is in my opinion unfair and sounds suspiciously like imperialism, or at least forcing one culture's values on another. And all aspects of their lives are affected by their culture. It's impossible to separate them.

      Or to borrow an example from our book, think of the veil Azar Nafisi and her female students are made to wear. Some of the students wore scarves and veils even before the regime, because of their religion, because it made them feel closer to God. I've seen Western feminists call the veil an oppression. I've even seen a woman try to rip off a Muslim woman's hijabi while walking around Portland with my family. The point is that the veil itself is not evil, it's the lack of choice in the wearing of it that makes Iran's situation for women so horrible. But due to major cultural misunderstandings, in Western eyes the veil has wrongly become a shorthand for Middle Eastern oppression and instability.

      Delete
    3. Lindsey, great of you to push the thinking. Patricia, your response is thoughtful and stretches beyond the obvious, especially since the society discussed is one most of us are unfamiliar with. I appreciate how all of you are making connections and really drawing ideas and thoughts from one another.

      Delete
    4. I understand what you're saying Patricia, but if women were completely equal world wide they could fix the problems they face in their specific culture. Or at least have an equal opportunity to. It is true that women face different issues depending on where they live but if women had the same power men had they could fix the problems they see as important. I may have misunderstood your comment but I thought I'd chime in.

      Delete
    5. I definitely agree that our perception of the meaning of the hijab is warped by how women are oppressed in the middle east. It's not a symbol of oppression, they were it for religious reasons, and given the choice, a lot of Muslim women would still wear it.

      Delete
    6. It's definitely good to remember that not everyone who wears the scarf feels oppressed by it, and I feel the book does a great job of showing this by the students in the secret class that still choose to wear it.

      Delete
  14. 1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    The author, the girls in the book club, they all talk about how making the smallest rebellions against the rules set against them helps them to feel more powerful in a society that does not appreciate their differences. They make small rebellions, they dress up under their scarves and robes, they listen to the music that is not allowed, and they read the books that have been banned. They do not simply give in to the rules that have been imposed upon them.

    2. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
    This book maps out the gradual change of the the country of Iran into such an oppressive society. The narration jumps between different times of the past and the present, revealing the changes in the political and religious scene of the country. Through the authors recollection of her work at the University of Tehran, the readers witness the change of student attitudes, the growth of protests and marches at the University, and the political segregation of the students in the classroom. Soon, women were being forced to wear veils in public. The University classes were cancelled. In the present time, we read the author’s recollections of the stories she has been told by her students. The girls live in fear, they have nightmares that they go out into public without their veils and get in trouble for it. Sanaz and her horror story of jail time, mortification, and punishment was one that stood out to me. The society has taken away their freedoms.

    3. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
    In America we have the freedom of religion, the freedom to say what we want and to wear what we want. I have grown up knowing that what I wanted my life to be like and the things that I chose to shape me were personal choices that I had to make for myself. Forcing women to wear the veil, trying to force women into the roles that the government sees fit for them is taking that choice away from them. A choice that I have seen myself as fundamentally my own is no longer available to them. It is so different from the society that I grew up in, watching these women struggling to be independent and remain true to themselves in a society like this one that will punish them for being who they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your first response and how the girls feel more powerful when they are acting against the laws in subtle and unnoticeable ways. I didn't really give much thought to the changing past/present scenes in the book but now that you mention it I like how the book does this. It gives a good sense of change. I also mentioned difference between our country and the girl's in my response. The difference is so great that it's hard to imagine what life would be like in Tehran unless we really are experiencing it instead of just reading about it. The girls stories and experiences really do give us a sense of how bad the issues are though.

      Delete
  15. 1.) How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    The characters assert their individuality in their repressive society in a number of ways. The girls grow out their nails, style their hair underneath their veils, wear colorful clothing under their dresses, listen to forbidden music, and read about and discuss books that are banned. Through these, the characters are able to show parts of themselves, or at least reassure themselves that they are still unique individuals, even if that means wearing clothing underneath their dresses that they must hide. When discussing the books they have read, they are able to voice their own opinions, without being punished or judged. Through these small but mostly unnoticed rebellions, the characters are able to assert their own individuality.

    2.) How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
    The laws, government, and rebellions are constantly changing. While Azar is teaching, the common discussion topics are about rebellions and protests. People are forced to pick sides and must stick to their groups. Azar also says on multiple occasions that she wonders how her girls must feel, never having known what it was like to live without a veil or such harsh dress restrictions. This shows that over time, the government has changed the laws to force people obey their rules. The people living in the Republic of Islam have no freedom.

    4.) How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?
    The dress restrictions reflect their society because the girls and women are forced to be hidden behind veils, due to their society’s thoughts on their gender. Women are not considered equal to men; they are weaker, and their main weapon is their looks. This is why women must hide their faces, not wear makeup, not dress too revealingly, or do anything that could be considered flirtatious. This culture views women as things that need to be hidden. This affects the characters’ lives because it makes them unable to openly show who they are; their creativity is stifled by the law. Instead, they must carry out unseen rebellions just to express some personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s interesting to see the changes in the society and how they impact the characters through the eyes of different generations. Azar tells it through her own perspective, but she also hears the stories and the thoughts of her girls, the perspective through a younger generation. Growing up in the society under the rules and restrictions that are in place today compared to how the author grew up without them is such a stark contrast.

      Delete
    2. Do you think that lots of other girls wear earrings and colorful clothes underneath their veils and robes? I think it's good the girls do these subtle things to feel more equal, even though they are far from having the same power as men.

      Delete
    3. I agree, I think it's good for them to do these things to feel more equal. I also think that's a great question. I have no idea if the other girls do, but I really hope they do, just so that they can feel more powerful and unique.

      Delete
    4. It's also interesting that the society in which Azar grew up made her into a similar person as the girls she teaches, who grew up later in the more oppressive society. It shows a contradiction to the John Locke theory that people are all molded by their environment, as people from different environments turned out similar.

      Delete
    5. In your response you say they read banned books, although it appears they are as the class is secretive, Azar also assigns the books to her normal class, and on one occasion drops several in front of rebels, I've begun to wonder what books are banned and why in this society

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?
    In chapter 4 we find out that the women have long nails, listen to music that isn't aloud, and express their personality by wearing bright clothes under their robes. Even though they have to hide all of these things, the women do this so they can be individuals in a repressed society. Another way they express themselves is by reading books that are banned and sharing their opinions on them. When they were with each other, openly sharing their opinions they felt free. On page 28 it says, “It is amazing how, when all possibilities are taken away from you, the minutest opening can become a great freedom. We felt when we were together that we were almost absolutely free.”

    2. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
    The difficulties of the changing government and rebellions throughout the novel affect every aspect of the women’s lives. Dancing, singing, alcohol, make up, exposed hair, revealing clothing, parties, and books are all things that are said to be banned in Tehran. Professors at their school are fired for their beliefs and even the classrooms are split into groups due to children’s different political ideals. These are just a few examples of the extreme control these people are under.

    3. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?
    Veiling or restrictions on dress, especially in Tehran, is just a way that the government full of men can control the women in their lives. In Tehran culture, women are almost entirely hidden from men. Women have to hide their entire body (even their face), not wear makeup or have long nails, or do anything that could be flirtatious or promiscuous at all. At one point in the novel, one of the girls in the english group is persecuted for being around teenage boys without an adult supervising. The men in their culture view women as completely powerless and they want to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2.Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?
    I think the girls find sources of inspiration in their lives from the other girls in the book group and the characters they read about. The girls all tell stories during their book groups and they learn more about each other every time they meet. Some girls have gone through more than the others and they have learned how to cope in certain experiences. The girls also get their inspiration from books they read in groups and the characters. Temporarily, the books serve them as an escape from the reality and terrors that are going around them in Tehran. For example, on page 196, “and they were arguing not over the hostages or the recent demonstrations of Rajavi and Khomeini, but over Gatsby and his alloyed dream.” The girls have so much going on around them but instead of worrying about things they can’t control, they choose to focus on the characters they are studying and, in a way, spending time with.

    6. How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live? 
    All throughout the book the treatments and punishments that we learn about get worse. The men who aren’t part of the government get punished for breaking more extreme laws and the women get punished for such simple things. Women have to go through daily searchings before going into the school and have to wear black robes to cover all parts of their bodies. The searchings and other practices that these girls have to go through can be traumatizing for them. For example, Azar wrote “They searched us from head to foot and of the many sexual molestations I have had to suffer in my life, this was among the worst.” This society is so repressive that women can’t even look at men in the streets and men control all of those in Tehran.

    7. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
    I believe that there should be once standard for gender equality throughout the world. We can’t pick our gender when we’re born and male/females should be treated in the same way. This book is shows that women have so much they have to go through and still aren’t treated equally. They can’t choose what they wear, who they marry, they aren’t allowed to walk around town with men who aren’t family, and have many more rules on top of these ones. All of the characters in this book have faced issues where men had much more power over them and they have been treated unfairly because of it. Some of the girls even face these experiences daily. I think that it’s important for everyone to be equal whether it’s by race or gender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the characters personal stories help us to see actual accounts of things that are happening there. Without them all we have are general terms like 'They're oppressed.'

      Delete
    2. I agree, men and women are still people and should be treated as such, regardless of their gender, something they had no choice about.

      Delete
    3. Hi Bella. I really like your response about the characters finding inspiration from the characters that they read about, and I thought much of the same thing when I was reading the book. Do you think that it’s easier for the girls to connect to the characters in their books because they are looking into them so closely, or do you think they have trouble relating to them because of their situation? I really liked reading the scenes that the author wrote about in her class and how her students viewed characters in different lights because of their own personal and political backgrounds.

      Delete
    4. I think the question that you pose, Lindsey, could be examined through your own lens: do you connect with the characters you read about or do you have trouble relating to them? I think we take what we want from our readings, and we make connections based on our own experiences.

      Delete
    5. And I'd be curious to know if any of these discussions about various books made you interested in reading them, too. Is anyone putting Lolita, Daisy Miller, or Pride & Prejudice on a summer reading list?

      Delete
  19. How do the character’s personal stories expand your understanding of the society in which they live?
    These stories help us to see the characters in a clearer way. They show us where they come from and what they are dealing with back home. Their lives are going through constant change, and the stories that we learn about them helps to accentuate that change and gives the characters movement and flow beyond just wearing the veils and participating in the class. All of the girls have different viewpoints of the books and the authors and different contributions to give to the discussions because of their personal lives. Through their stories the readers can see how the oppressive society impacts each individual.

    2. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
    I believe that there should be one standard of gender equality throughout the world. I also see gender equality as something with a simple definition: that the different genders are equal in all things and in all aspects of their lives. Achieving this is a long, complicated process but I believe that the end result should be the same. If there are different standards of that then I don’t believe that it is true gender equality.

    3. Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?
    I see the characters as finding inspiration in all things. The author finds inspiration in her girls, in what they have been through, what they contribute, and the futures that they will have. The girls, especially, find inspiration in the books. There have been multiple characters that have found inspiration in a certain book character or a theme. The author mentioned that Daisy was one that a lot of the girls related to because they believed that she had courage. I believe that the girls also find inspiration in each other and in their teacher. They are all so different, but they came together over books and ideas which they bonded with until the end, when the author left. Even then some of the girls continued, or started their own groups, because they were inspired and impacted by the class and by each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that there should be one standard of gender equality. As long as we keep it fair and general, then it could apply to women all over the world.

      Delete
    2. I also agree that the different viewpoints from about the books the characters read give us a window into each of their lives. The different ways that each girl has been oppressed show through in their varying interpretations of the text.

      Delete
    3. The book really does a good job at letting readers know how these girls feel about their society, good response

      Delete
    4. I definitely agree that there should be one gender equality standard, and that if the standards are different for different cultures, is it really gender equality?

      Delete
    5. I agree completely with your beliefs about gender equality and I love how you mention the definition to prove your point! Also, I think it's so important that girls are so different but bond seem to bond over the books they are reading in their group.

      Delete
    6. Lindsey, I also appreciated your comment about how reading provides critical inspiration when the world seems topsy turvy. Fiction provides a refuge of truth and touchstone with reality, especially when reality seems stranger than fiction. The power of reading to enrich our lives, even to maintain our sanity, is thrown into sharp relief in Nafisi's memoir.

      Delete
  20. 3. Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?
    The characters find inspiration in many things. The main source of inspiration in the lives of the characters is in their books. The themes in the books tie into the lives of the characters. They also find inspiration in the lives of each other. Their individual stories inspire each other to express themselves and to secretly rebel. Even after their teacher left at the end, some of the girls started their own groups to continue passing their inspiration onto others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the points you made. Books can be so inspirational in their themes and messages. I thought much of the same thing when I was writing my own response. Nice job.

      Delete
    2. I thought it was really creative how the author made the books intertwine with their lives. When the girls were actually reading the books in real life they definitely connected to them but the way the author wrote the book really highlighted that.

      Delete
  21. 3. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?
    The practice of veiling and restricting dress is directly reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles because the gender that is restricted, or forced to wear veils, are given no respect at all. An obvious example is in Tehran, where women are forced to cover themselves up. In Tehran, women are not respected at all. Not only that, but they have considerable less rights than men. The veils are reflective of the lack of rights that women have there. This affects the characters’ lives by making them unable to express themselves freely or be themselves wherever they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The practice of veiling really does prove how little respect and equality the women in Tehran and other countries have! Women don't have the choice to go outside their homes without being covered in a black veil and that's so abnormal to us in the U.S. It's hard to imagine the terrors that women have to face daily in foreign countries.

      Delete
    2. Some women do not feel oppressed by the practice of veiling. I think it is cultural, but also it is a personal preference. I know I'd struggle with having to wear a veil, but I think that is because I have grown up in a society in which we place emphasis on clothing being a source of our individuality.

      Delete
    3. We need to know the balance between everyone being completely equal and the same, and letting people express themselves. If you just say women shouldn't wear veils because it isn't equal, then the people who want to wear veils wouldn't be happy. There's definitely a balance.

      Delete
  22. 5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
    Our cultural background shapes our perception of women and veiling in other countries into oppressed people who hate being forced to wear their veils. But, in reality, it’s a religious thing and some people wear them by choice. My mom used to teach in Lewiston, and there are many women and girls there who choose to wear their head scarfs. (Called Hijabs) It’s part of their faith and they do it because it because they want to. Although they are forced to wear them in other countries, we perceive that they all women hate wearing them. Also, I think some people see it as threatening, because they consider all people who look middle-eastern to be terrorists, and that if they wear their religious clothing here, then they must be in on the plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, since 9/11 many Americans have come to assume all middle eastern people are out to cause chaos, and this drastically changed our perception of veiling and other cultural headdresses.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoy how you tied a personal story into your response. I find it so interesting to see the connections that people make between the stories and their own lives. Sometimes these connections can be so straightforward and sometimes they can be so abstract.

      Delete
    3. I like that you brought up the point that some women choose to wear the veils. I also like that you used an example that we can understand, and that proves that there are women who choose to wear the veil.

      Delete
  23. 1.How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?

    The practice of veiling and other forms of restriction reflects the cultural attitude that women should be covered. These cultures see veiling as protection for women, hiding their features from men outside their family, in an attempt to protect them from “aggravating” assault. These views have the adverse effect of oppressing women’s individuality, and allows for men to make untrue claims against women. For example, in the book one of the students is harassed because “a spot of bare neck” was visible to one of the male students. The narrator is constantly protesting the practice of veiling throughout the novel, as she finds it more oppressive than helpful.

    2.How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?

    Our cultural for the most part didn't require special coverings for women in public, however many religions do, an example being nuns. In our mainstream society however, women dress to express themselves and our culture does not frown on them dressing to appear attractive to the public, actually this is a goal of many women in our society. Because of this background, we view veiling in other countries as morally wrong and oppressive. It’s hard for American people to accept veiling because our culture is very much the opposite, while veiling tries to hide women, American culture puts them in a spotlight.

    3. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    I feel one standard for gender equality is impossible throughout the world. Culture plays too much of an influence for men and women to be held as equal. Many cultures view women as much more delicate than men and others try to keep their treatment equal. In my opinion they should equal, men and women are all still human and should be treated as people. Equality offers many questions too, would complete equal treatment allow for a man to beat a women with no extra social consequence, as if it had been between two men? Physically women are different from men, they generally require a lower calorie diet and may not be as strong as a man is, but these are very general and there are exceptions. I feel even though people say they want total gender equality, they more realistically want increased equality in specific fields. For example women should be paid the same as a man if they preform the same task, and should be given the same respect, but many women want the social protection of a man not being allowed to hit them. This question is very difficult and though equality would offer a fairer world, it would be near impossible to put in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin. I don’t know if you meant it in this way, but I disagree with your thoughts that Americans protest the veil because our culture is the opposite. I personally don’t agree with a citizen being forced to wear the veil against their will. If it is a personal choice to wear the veil then there isn’t an issue, however being forced into something you do not agree with is a different story. I also believe that many American women wear nice clothes not simply to impress those around them, but for themselves and their own self-confidence. Looking nice is something that inspires confidence and capability in your own self, not for the benefit of those around you. Women should not be in the spotlight because of what they wear, but rather who they are and what they do.
      I agree that it is difficult to set a standard of gender equality due to different cultures in the world, however I see the point of gender equality as there not being differences in the way that the genders are viewed. I think that if you only equalize certain fields it is not true gender equality. It is illegal for anyone to beat anyone regardless of their gender, as it could be viewed as battery and assault and they could be arrested. How can you only change certain ideals yet still believe that you don’t see one gender as weaker than the other?

      Delete
    2. I didn't mean to say that Americans protest the veil because it's different from our culture, but more so that we don't understand it because it's not commonplace in America

      Delete
    3. I’m not trying to be rude or start an argument with you but I want to disagree with your response to #3. I think that right now the common belief is that gender equality is impossible. However, I believe that women have been striving for equality and we will someday achieve the goal. There are some ridiculous stereotypes about women have been around for so long that are so wrong. For example, “throwing like a girl”, “crying like a girl”, not being as successful or strong, emotionally and physically, etc. The more people use these phrases to describe females, the further gender equality will be from being achieved. Some of these stereotypes you briefly mentioned in your response. Your point as women not being as strong as men is completely false and not just in my opinion. It all depends in what someone’s definition of strong really is. I guarantee that there are girls in our school who are physically stronger than most of the boys if put to the test. Personally, what is your definition of strong? Some of the strongest people that I have ever met are women. They have been through more than anybody I know and are still managing as single parents, working daily, and are still happy. There are women out running marathons and body building who are some of the strongest humans on earth. Also, women have to go through pregnancy/labor which is considered one of the most painful experiences ever. Yes, emotionally women have different hormones which make us seem “weaker” than men. But being emotional doesn’t make somebody “not strong” or “weak”, we are born with hormones that cause us to feel emotions. However, I know lots of emotional boys and men but they aren’t treated with inequality as women are. I understand why you believe that you think gender equality is impossible throughout the world but it’s this kind of negativity that won’t get us women to the point that we are trying to reach.

      Delete
    4. What I meant by "strong" was a generalization, of course there are exceptions, I was thinking of athletic standards when I said this. For example, in our school we had fitness testing, a boy and a girl the same age and weight had drastically different numbers to consider them healthy. Boys had to be able to run faster and lift more to then a girl did in order to reach the "healthy zone". I hope this clarified my thinking, I had no intention to call women weak.

      Delete
    5. I don't agree with your use of the word exceptions. When you say exceptions it seems to me like you are saying that there are a few women who manage to be as strong as men. I agree with Bella when she says that she knows many girls who are stronger than boys we know. Yes, the school has different athletic standards, but I do not think these should exist, that is the point of gender equality. I know many girls who are capable of the same physical feats as boys, especially if we are talking about the standards set in PE. I believe that the stereotypes that women are not as physically capable as men need to go away.

      Delete
    6. I've tried my best to explain my thoughts, sorry I can't clarify my meaning

      Delete
    7. Thanks for having a respectful conversation, especially since there are some differing opinions.

      Delete
  24. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
    In America, we are very used to the idea of freedom, and, at least in my case, it makes me quite angry that these women are forced to wear the veil. Being forced to do something, especially choosing what you wear, is something that most people in America are not accustomed to. Because Americans are so inspired by freedom, the idea of the veil seems absurd.

    How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live? 
    The characters’ personal stories vastly expands my understanding of the societies of which they live in, because it makes their society seem much more real. As I read the book, I found the whole thing to be quite surreal, because I could not bring myself to truly believe that this is something that goes on in the world. Yet every example the characters gave made me realize that their struggles are very real, and that it is much worse than I had previously believed. Their stories showed me that the law is constricting and that there is no freedom.

    Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?
    Yes, there should be one standard for gender equality throughout the world. Men and women deserve to be treated as equals. The oppression of one gender in any way is not fair. Different standards would not mean equality, this would simply mean that all cultures could bend the definition of gender equality, which would no longer actually be gender equality. This does not mean that women should have no protection from the abuse of men but be payed the same in their jobs; it means that both men and women should not have to suffer abuse from anyone, including the other gender. Of course, they should be payed the same in the same profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely understand what you mean by finding the book surreal. I felt like there were parts of it that I read and it almost felt like I was reading a fantasy dystopian novel because it was so different from the society and culture I have known my entire life. There were stories that the girls told that made me so angry when I read them and still others that made me so sad.

      Delete
    2. I agree with your and Lindsey's opinion of the book seeming surreal in some parts. Even after reading the book, the society and culture is so different from ours. It's hard to imagine such an oppressive government that controls the girl's lives. Also, I agree with women and men both shouldn't be treated with violence and there should be equal wages for equal work.

      Delete
    3. I totally agree with your stance on gender equality! People can't help if they're born male or female and everybody deserves the same right to happiness. I like your goal but I don't think it's achievable.

      Delete
  25. 3. How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?
    In the novel, the author makes it clear how characters are affected by events and changes in society. The first point that I’d bring up would be all the restrictions for the girls and women in the society. Monitoring nail length, having every part of them covered except the ovals of their faces, no jewelry, and so on. But also for every gender, there is a ban of alcohol, dancing, parties, and even some books. This affects each character greatly because these restrictions all make it impossible to be individuals out in society, and only let them show their true selves when they are home alone.

    4. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?
    Veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) is just showing male dominance over women in that society. This is awful because each woman should have a choice whether she veils or not, and with what she wants to wear. Of course, these restrictions affect the character’s lives as they cannot show their true selves to the world, and the male dominance over them makes some more nervous, or angry towards the men.

    5. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?
    Because we hear so much of women being forced to veil, we do not understand that in some places, it is a choice, and even in places like Tehran, there are women who would veil even if it was a choice.

    Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    To be honest, I think there should be one standard for gender equality throughout the world. Gender is not a choice for people, and for women especially, men have usually gotten more rights than us. I’m not trying to drag this into feminism, but maybe I am: I can’t help it. However, putting the past behind, for the sake of this response, women are still oppressed in a lot of societies (please don’t bring men into this, it’s just that women are more oppressed than men that I’m bringing this up). Having one standard for gender equality, and treating men and women the same, would be a smart move for the entire world to accept and put into action. I’m not sure if I was clear in this: I’m really tired because I’ve had a busy day, but I hope you get the point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your point that the girls in Tehran can only be themselves when they're at home and when they're alone. I think it would be so strange having to hide yourself and who you really are from society. I agree with your beliefs about gender equality!

      Delete
    2. I agree that people forget that wearing a veil can be a choice. People who wear veils in America get scolded all the time

      Delete
  26. SARA PUTNAM'S POSTS

    The Whipping Man is a play with many themes that are still relevant to people today. From war, to racism, and how we act with one another. There is still constant news of inequality, in many scenarios. It may always be a universal topic. John, Caleb, and Simon all had their own issues and all had a role in making assumptions. Caleb, Simon, and John made a lot of assumptions about each other, causing a lot of drama, which was as realistic as we see in todays normal society. The end of the play really hit home with me, and I’m sure with a lot of other students as well. The moment of silence where you can feel the fear of the future, and realizing there are consequences for our actions.

    1. Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not?

    I feel one standard for gender equality throughout the world, although ideal, cannot be accomplished. Unless the world creates a government that can control every countries culture. I personally believe they should be equal, but what are the specific requirements of equality? I feel even though people say they want total gender equality, when in reality if we had this system of complete equality, many would still complain. This question isn't easy to answer and we cannot possibly live in a world where we can place every country to these regulations of equality.

    2. How is the practice of veiling (or restrictions on dress in general) reflective of cultural attitudes toward gender roles? How do these attitudes affect characters’ lives?

    The practice of veiling and restricting dress is a clear reflection of women's rights and restrictions among them. Tehran is a perfect example of this, with no respect for women, who have clearly less rights than the men, who hold all the power. The characters lives are affected because they have no choice and cannot make their own decisions.

    3. Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives?

    The characters find many sources of inspiration although they have so much to dwell on. The girls find inspiration in the characters in the books they read, or by the themes and stories as well. I believe they find hope in the small rebellions they carry on, such as reading forbidden books because it gives them a little bit of power. I believe that the girls also find inspiration in each other. They bond until the very end through their book group, despite the differences between them.

    4. How do the characters assert their individuality within a repressive society?

    In the book we find out that the women have long nails, wear bright clothes under their robes and even listen to music that is forbidden. This is the most individuality they can possibly have in such an oppressed society. They also give their personal opinion of banned books, which I believe is asserting individuality.

    5.How are the characters affected by events/changes in society?

    The government and laws constantly change throughout the story. Common discussion topics are about rebellions and protests when Azar is teaching. Azar also repeats herself throughout the book, wondering what life is like without such strict restrictions on freedom. This is a perfect example of how they have such little freedom, they can;t even imagine a different life.
    6. How does our cultural background shape our perception of women and the practice of veiling (or wearing a head scarf) in other countries?

    We never really sit back and think about how lucky we are to have the freedom that we do and live in a country where you aren’t restricted on everything you do. I have grown up with many things making me an individual, being able to decide what extracurriculars I want to participate it, to even being able to choose what color shirt I want to wear everyday. So many women are forced into so much through government power. What seems so simple to me is something these women want to protest for everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your concept for one government ruling the world is really interesting. But I do agree that one standard for gender equality isn't possible. There are too many sexist people all over the world.

      Delete
  27. 1. Where do the characters find sources of inspiration in their lives? The girls find sources of inspiration from the books they read and the other girls in the group. The girls really get to know each other during the book groups and can relate to each other. They also get their inspiration from the characters in the different books they read. The books they read can take their mind off of all the horrible things going on around them. Any kind of escape from reality is banned so the girls never really get to experience this any other time.

    Should there be one standard for gender equality throughout the world? Why or why not? I think that there should be once standard for gender equality throughout the world. The thought that women are less capable than men is absurd and out dated. Women (especially in Tehran) live through a lot of messed up things that some men couldn’t take. Both genders are equal. I think that it’s important for everyone, male or female, to be equal.

    How do the characters’ personal stories expand your understanding of the societies in which they live?  The women in this book are treated horribly. The men completely dominate their lives, telling them what to wear, how to act, and how to think. Women have to be searches daily and can’t even be alone in the same room as a man. Azar wrote at one part, “They searched us from head to foot and of the many sexual molestations I have had to suffer in my life, this was among the worst.” The women have no rights and cannot do anything about these treatments. These stories make me understand how controlling their society really is.

    ReplyDelete